Wednesday, November 10, 2010

What i've Been Working on Wednesday - Jacket for Jack


I'm sorry I skipped Tutorial Tuesday yesterday, but i've been so busy. This Saturday is my last craft show, and things will go back to normal, or normal as they can be with me around ;), and I will post a tutorial next week. It might even be a guest tutorial! Anyhow, I haven't had the time to take pictures of all i've worked on this week, and you wouldn't want to see them in their current unironed state anyway, so I thought i'd show off the jacket I made Jack last week. This is one of those things that I wasn't planning on making, but it begged to be made. This project totally reminded me of the really cool boys' stuff that Victoria makes. I had a felted merino sweater, and it was just the right size for Jack, with a little room to grow. It was a little wide, so I just took in the sides a little, like I did with my cardigan. That was all I was planning to do, but it looked a little plain, so I added the hood (just traced a hood and used that as a pattern). I thought it would look cooler with a layer look, so I just sewed a strip of the same wool I used for the hood along the bottom. Now I was pretty pleased with it, but Jack said he needed a zipper... he hates pullovers. I dug through my scraps, found a zipper, cut straight down the middle of the sweater, and sewed on the zipper. I liked the look of it better when it was a pullover, but Jack likes it better now. The bonus is that my easily overheated son wore this all day, inside & out, hot & cold, and never felt hot or cold. Dang, I love wool!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

He's so cute! I love how it turned out and the roughness that the zipper adds. Nice work!
and thanks for the mention!

molli said...

Love it! He looks so happy-- and cozy!

Adding the strip at the bottom looks great and really ties it all together--

Steph said...

I love the layered look. Regarding the zipper, I've wanted to do that for a while but didn't know how to attach the zipper strongly enough to the wool. Did you just sew it to the wool or did you use fabric backing to stabilize it? I cannot really tell from the pictures.

Resweater said...

I just took a zipper, with attached wool from the original sweater it was on, and sewed it on to the sweater.

Deb said...

Supper cute! It is nice to see some boy stuff. I met Victoria this weekend at a craft show she was doing. I knew her from your blog. She had lots of great boy stuff!

Brenda said...

Wonderful jacket! I can tell he loves it by his big smile!!

The Sewing Dork said...

Love it! Isn't the making half the fun?

Jilly Lovett said...

cooL kid! cool sweater! :)