Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tutorial Tuesday - Tag sensory blanket


I made a tag blanket like this years ago, when my son was a baby, and he loved it! I decided to just provide a link to the tutorial, rather than copy and paste everything. For the step by step tutorial, go here, to The Sewing Dork's blog, a fabulous blog to follow by the way. Mine (below) looks awful in the picture, because I should have ironed it, but I assure you, it's a perfect rectangle. I decided to make mine a re-sweater and re-tag blanket, and use pieces of recycled cashmere and tags from sweaters that i've used for projects. I used a piece of fringe on the one side that has no tags, but I didn't like the look of it, so I removed the fringe. In hindsight, I should have made the tags on every side, but i'll know better for next time! This is such an easy and fast thing to make, perfect for baby shower gifts and first birthdays!

Thank you, Sewing Dork, for sharing a great tutorial with us yet again!!

5 comments:

Jess to Impress said...

that's a great idea. the first thing i usually do w/ my thrifted sweaters is to cut the tag out and throw it away...but now I might start saving them!

Laine said...

Oh, the idea comes just in time! I`ve been saving clothes tags and labels for long time,hoping that there will come a day when I will find them useful! Now it seems THE day is here!

Tina said...

Kris,
I just want to give you a heads up. I had a blanket listed in my ArtFire shop that had ribbon on the outside. I got an e-mail from Taggies about infringement of their patent. Where yours are tag labels from clothes, you might be ok, but I have been finding that a lot of people are having issues with Taggies.

Anyway, I love how you are recycling even the tags! I usually just throw them into my scraps for stuffing pile.

Resweater said...

I'm not too worried about it, since I only plan to give them as gifts, but thank you for the warning!

The Sewing Dork said...

That is such a cool idea! I love the embroidered feel of sweater tags. I used to sell mine on Etsy but got a copyright infringement notice too! I think you are okay if you remove any reference to the word Taggie because I see lots of people selling 'sensory blankets'.